Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Controls Research Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306587
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure & Buildings
Group: Optimization & Control
PNNL is seeking a researcher in the area of building diagnostics and controls. This position offers an extraordinary opportunity to join an interdisciplinary, nationally-recognized research team in developing and demonstrating controls technology for improving buildings performance and increasing buildings-grid integration. The successful candidate will contribute to cutting-edge technologies and the engineering and scientific literature on building energy performance, lead technical tasks, and interact with both internal and external clients.
We are looking for a proactive, highly motivated researcher with proven capability to work in teams and with demonstrated expertise in one or more of the following technical areas: optimization and optimization based control, system identification and model reduction, learning-based adaptive control, control systems engineering including control oriented system design, distributed/decentralized control, machine learning and data analytics applied to physical systems, estimation and fault detection, diagnosis and prognosis, uncertainty quantification, game theory and economics, building systems modeling and simulation, and fluid dynamics and simulation.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- The candidate will provide technical expertise and task leadership on multiple projects or tasks.
- Providing technical input and/or leading portions of large, formal documents, such as project reports, journal articles, conference papers, and presentations.
- Selecting and developing technical approaches to project work assignments.
- Contributing to technical proposals for developing new projects and business.
- Working with senior staff and project managers to develop and implement project management plans for projects of various sizes.
- Serving as a technical resource and mentor to staff across the division.
- Working in a team environment of high-performance multi-disciplinary experts.
- Accountable to technical group manager and project managers for project development, execution, and closure.
Job level will be determined by the candidate’s unique experiences/qualifications.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 2-3 years of experience, or a Master’s degree with 0-2 years of experience or PhD. Contributing professional who is building a professional reputation for technical expertise. Fully applies and interprets standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies within specialty.
- Bachelor’s degree with at least 5 years of experience, or a Master’s Degree with 3+ years of experience or a PhD with 1-2 years of experience. Skilled professional. Applies, on a broad basis, existing theories, principles, and concepts to a specialty field.
- Prefer Master’s Degree in electrical, mechanical, computer science or chemical engineering and 2-4 years of experience depending on the level.
- Experience in one or more of the following applications: control methods for building HVAC equipment and/or building systems, automated fault detection and diagnosis for building systems, building energy management, decision support for building system operation and maintenance, integrated operation between building systems and the power grid, safety and security systems, cyber-physical systems.
- Proficiency in Python, Julia, and MATLAB and familiarity with publicly available software libraries for control, analytics and optimization.
- Control software development and testing experience, embedded software development, working experience with building systems simulation tools.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and applying technical approaches in the area of building control technologies and/or closely-related buildings/energy topics.
- Knowledgeable of building heating, ventilation, and air-conditioning equipment and systems.
- Demonstrated innovations in framing multi-disciplinary solutions to emerging building performance challenges.
- Demonstrated understanding of current challenges in building controls and related areas.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Optimization and Control
Opening Date: 2017-05-10
Closing Date: 2017-09-02