Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Chief Science & Technology Officer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306264
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: ALD Office
The Chief Science and Technology Officer is a key member of the Energy and Environment Directorate Leadership team who leads scientific, technology and engineering (ST&E) vision, strategy development and execution. This position provides leadership for the conception of, development of, and execution of internal investments to advance our strategic scientific objectives. The CSTO will be expected to work collaboratively with technical staff, across PNNL, to ensure that EED build distinctive capabilities that enable EED researchers to deliver on our nation’s most important energy and environmental challenges. The CSTO reports to the EED Associate Laboratory Director.
The Energy & Environment Directorate performs $235M of science, technology and engineering support, to the Department of Energy and other sponsors. EED’s exciting and diverse energy and environmental portfolio includes programs in grid R&D, energy efficiency, renewable energy, nuclear energy, fossil energy and environmental management. There are roughly 1,000 staff in EED, supporting programs both within EED and across the Laboratory.
While expertise is not required in all technical areas, the CSTO must be able to work with teams of technical experts to deliver impactful and compelling ST&E outcomes. The CSTO must have an inquisitive mind and enjoy learning about new technical areas and sponsor needs. The CSTO should seek to understand the future direction of R&D in key areas and ensure that EED capabilities are well positioned to contribute to these areas with distinction. The CSTO must be passionate about creating an ST&E environment within EED that nurtures and develops scientist and engineers to rise to the top of their fields.
The overarching responsibilities and accountabilities of the CSTO includes, but are not limited to the following:
- Collaborate with teams, including technical staff and managers, to develop, communicate and execute EED ST&E strategy.
- Build organizational consensus for the EED ST&E Strategy.
- Steward and manage overhead investments to execute the EED ST&E strategy to a positive outcome.
- Engage EED technical staff, at all levels, empowering a creative, productive and innovative ST&E environment for all staff.
- Promote a culture of mentoring scientists and engineers.
- Support lab-level S&T planning activities.
- Serve as EED’s representative to PNNL’s Science & Technology Council.
- Make recommendations regarding senior S&E promotions within EED.
- Communicate EED’s strategy and the successes that result from it to staff across the Laboratory.
- Represent, with distinction, EED and PNNL’s strategic ST&E outcomes to external stakeholders.
- Develop and building strategic partnerships with national labs, universities and industry.
- Participate at the national and international level in scientific societies, conferences, and symposia, and committees to foster awareness and recognition of PNNL's strengths and capabilities.
- Promote a fun and energizing work environment.
Job Level will be determined based on the candidate's education and unique qualifications.
Senior: PhD in a Science or Engineering discipline plus a minimum of 15 years’ experience in an R&D organization, with progressively responsible management/senior leadership positions.
Principal: PhD in a Science or Engineering discipline plus a minimum of 20 years' experience in progressively responsible management/senior leadership positions working closely with clients, partners, stakeholders, societies and other DOE laboratories.
- Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively internally and externally to deliver impact in technical areas.
- Comfortable working with government sponsors, industry, universities and other national labs.
- Experience managing large and complex programs and organizations is desired but not strictly required.
- Experience successfully setting vision, strategy, objectives, and priorities to enhance organizational performance is also desired.
- A career that has at some time involved leadership of a demonstrably high-impact R&D program is desired.
- Evidence of S&T breadth, or demonstrated ability to move into new areas is also desired.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Managers
Group: Energy & Environment
Opening Date: 2017-02-08
Closing Date: 2017-04-09