Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Chemical Engineer in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 305843
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Nuclear Sciences
Group: Nuclear Chemistry & Engineering
The Chemistry and Engineering Group at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory is currently seeking a Chemical Engineer.
Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Contributing professional who is building a professional reputation for technical expertise.
- Fully applies and interprets standard theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies within specialty.
- Independently completes recurring assignments.
- Exercises limited judgment on work details.
- Makes preliminary selections and adaptations of technical alternatives.
- Leads specific tasks of the project to meet scope, schedule and budget.
- Networks effectively with technical peer group.
- Contributes to technical content of proposals.
- Markets through excellent performance on projects.
Discipline, principal job duties/expectations, and qualitative and quantitative measures of performance that exceed the Functional Descriptor:
- This position involves planning and executing experiments with radioactive and non-radioactive materials and the subsequent interpretation and reporting of the data from these experiments.
- Although the candidate will initially work under close supervision by senior engineers and scientists, it is expected that within a few months they will be able to perform experiments and report results with little direct supervision.
- The successful candidate will require flexibility in performing R&D in a number of different areas, but is expected to focus on separations relevant to the process high level waste from the Hanford site.
- The successful candidate will have a demonstrated proficiency in chemical engineering.
- Experience in developing chemical separation technologies is desirable.
- Contribute to on-going funded projects and will contribute to new research proposals to extend the group’s capabilities.
- The candidate will be expected to work simultaneously on more than one project. - - Exceptional organization skills and ability to work both individually and as a team member are essential.
- The successful candidate will be expected to design and execute experiments pursuant to the goals and objectives of the funded research projects, and will be expected to report results of these experiments through formal reports, journal articles, and presentations at scientific conferences, as directed by the project manager or principal investigator.
- The candidate will be expected to have excellent verbal and written communication skills and prepare high quality peer-reviewed manuscripts, technical reports and presentations that communicate the experimental objective, results, and conclusions in a traceable and defensible manner.
Bachelor's degree with 0-1 years experience or a Master's/PhD degree.
Expected to contribute professionally, applying basic theories, principles, methods, tools and technologies to well-defined assignments of limited scope.
- Degree preference chemical engineering.
-Preference for advanced degree.
- Must be able to obtain a security clearance (DOE Q) which requires U.S. citizenship.
The group and team reside in the Radiochemical Processing Laboratory (RPL).
The RPL is a Hazard Category II Nuclear Facility with capability for performing work on high-level radioactive and hazardous materials.
- The incumbent must be able to achieve Radiological Worker II qualification.
- The incumbent must be able to access the Personnel Contamination Monitors (PCMs) when exiting Radiological Buffer Areas and must be able to run, not walk in the event of a criticality alarm in the facility.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Engineering/Engineering Techs
Group: Nuclear Chemistry & Engrng
Opening Date: 2016-10-02
Closing Date: 2016-12-01