Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Application Engineer - PeopleSoft in RICHLAND, Washington
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306279
Directorate: Communications & Information Technology
Division: Software Engineering
Group: HR, Training and Acquisitions
Come and work for a billion dollar international research institution. Our collaborative environment and commitment to work/life balance makes Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL) an ideal place to advance your career, challenge yourself, and make a difference in the world. We offer excellent benefits including pension, matching 401(k), tuition reimbursement plans, health insurance, and flexible work schedules.
As a National Laboratory, we offer a unique blend of opportunities for the exceptional candidate. This position’s main focus encompasses the design, development, implementation, maintenance, operation, and support of information systems relevant to the administration of PNNL’s PeopleSoft systems. Your work will include: maintaining and operating existing business information systems, partnering with clients to define, build and deliver innovative software solutions to complex business problems; working with effective teams from multiple disciplines; and recommending and implementing technology standards and software development best practices. As a member of one or more of our Service Management or Project Teams you are expected to develop knowledge of the goals of projects or clients you are supporting – and maintain a customer service focus commensurate with this position.
Are you a talented software professional who is ready to play a central role in the maintenance and operations of business critical technology? Do you obsess with finding the right way – and believe that simplicity is genius and perfection is the enemy? Have you demonstrated the ability to be a contributing professional who has started to build a reputation for technical expertise – and want to work in an environment where you are expected to grow at a fast pace? Have you provided innovative solutions to a wide range of complex and ambiguous problems with minimal supervision? Are you experienced in all phases of the software development lifecycle and have a clear understanding of software development best practices? Do you have a fearless, positive attitude, and the way in which you achieve success is consistent with the PNNL values of Courage, Integrity, Impact, Collaboration and Creativity? Do you possess the desire to keep abreast of industry trends with the ability to apply those trends in your work? If so, then we would like to talk with you about the current openings in our software application development and support group.
You @ PNNL
Your key responsibilities and accountabilities would include:
- Assist in design and development of PeopleSoft applications based on business requirements.
- Utilize software engineering best practices through the entire software development lifecycle and recommend changes in development, maintenance, and system standards;
- Gather and analyze requirements, design, develop, test, and implement custom interfaces / reports / components / workflows.
- Develop and support technical integration strategies for custom and commercial off-the-shelf products supporting diverse domain experts;
- Work independently, prioritize individual workloads, troubleshoot and remedy problems under pressing deadlines in an operational environment;
- Perform code reviews and recommend improvements.
- Identify and troubleshoot issues in a timely manner.
- Provide support in system testing and bug fixing activities.
- Enhance the technical and professional skills of junior staff through active mentoring and training;
- Coordinate with Business Analyst and key users to understand client business needs and requirements.
- Assist in preparing project plan and technical and functional specifications.
- Collaborate effectively on diverse teams (e.g., Service / Project managers, domain experts, business process experts, users, and software engineering team) to design and deploy innovative business information systems across the enterprise;
- Ensure that project deliverables meet business requirements and ensure to complete project within assigned timelines.
- Knowledge and experience in the development and maintenance of complex software systems using software development methodologies and best practices;
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills;
- Technical expertise and support of PeopleSoft applications;
- Capable of acting as technical lead on projects;
- Proven history of delivering technical outcomes that enable improved business processes;
- Ability to comply with the change control procedures and develop useful documentation;
- Ability to exercise good judgment and integrity when dealing with sensitive data.
Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related technical field and 2 years' experience or MS degree and 1 year experience (preferred); or 10 years' experience.
- Experienced writing PeopleCode, SQL, and developing / modifying a variety of delivered and custom objects in one or more PeopleSoft HCM, FSCM, or ELM environments.
- Fundamental knowledge of Integration Broker and other PIA elements.
- Fundamental knowledge Oracle DBMS.
- Knowledge with software tracking / configuration management practices and tools – e.g. STAT .
- Experience in the design and development of web applications, web services, and web API;
- Experience in the design and development of Excel to CI or other ad hoc data loading mechanisms;
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft security and experience integrating with external role management systems;
- Knowledge and experience in applying layered architecture patterns.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Due to the sensitive areas this position may be working in, U.S. citizenship is required.
Our science and technology inspires and enables the world to live prosperously, safely and securely. Our discoveries not only change the way people think, they increase our nation's energy capacity and improve our national security efforts, making the world a safer and cleaner place.
Located in Richland, Washington, and part of the Tri-Cities community at the confluence of the Columbia, Snake and Yakima rivers, residents enjoy abundant water recreation, award-winning wineries, and more than 300 days of sunshine a year. Far enough away from Seattle and Portland to avoid their rain and daily traffic jams but close enough to visit and enjoy their arts and culture. We're in the perfect position to choose between hiking and snow skiing in the Cascade Mountain range, world-class windsurfing in the Columbia Gorge, or camping in Hells Canyon. Perhaps these are among the reasons the Tri-Cities area is among the top 10 metropolitan growth areas for jobs in the United States, and why Money Magazine included it among its Top 100 Places to Live in America.
Success in this role means delivering results through strong leadership and a relentless focus on what’s best for our users. Success means continually holding oneself to the highest of professional and ethical standards and demanding the same of co-workers. Success is believing that you have a positive impact on the research and development efforts at a national laboratory and that your work makes a difference with our clients and users.
Directorate: Comm & Information Technology
Job Category: Computation and Information Sciences
Group: Business Systms Supp & Opr's
Opening Date: 2017-02-10
Closing Date: 2017-03-12