Pacific Northwest National Laboratory Distributed Energy & Cyber Security Project Manager – Arlington, VA in ARLINGTON, Virginia
Organization and Job ID
Job ID: 306250
Directorate: Energy and Environment
Division: Electricity Infrastructure
Group: Building Energy Systems
The Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL)’s Electric Infrastructure and Buildings Division is seeking a technical professional experienced in distributed energy resources and cyber security. This position will support our contract with Department of Defense (DoD), and is based in a DoD office in Arlington, VA. The position directly contributes to the DoD’s mission by enhancing energy resilience through development of distributed energy resources and management of cyber security risks associated with such systems.
The individual will be responsible for building and leading teams to identify cyber security vulnerabilities and risks associated with distributed energy systems in order to manage these risks at DOD sites. This will include direct management oversight of the sponsor-approved work scope and schedule to ensure the successful implementation of projects. The individual will also evaluate the technical credibility of work scope and will develop criteria and performance metrics to evaluate project progress. The activities of the team that the position oversees are geographically, organizationally, and technically diverse with stakeholders from DoD, PNNL, and other external organizations. Stakeholders include but are not limited to distributed energy system manufacturers, integrators, utilities, cyber security experts, communication network personnel, maintenance personnel, and senior officials in the U.S. government.
- Bachelor's degree plus 8 years of experience, or advanced degree plus 6 years of experience.
- 4 or more years of experience in project management, and depth of knowledge in energy use and generation and methods needed to deliver distributed energy projects.
- Must be a U.S. citizen, have a valid driver’s license and be able to travel domestically.
- Must be able to pass a background check and obtain a DoD Common Access Card (CAC) and DoD security clearance to work with U.S. military installations.
- Must be willing to travel domestically (up to 25% time) to U.S. Military installations as required by the project.
- Knowledge of cyber security of energy systems; energy use, generation, and storage; and solutions to build energy resilience, such as micro-grid controls and distributed energy systems, is required.
- PMP certification, or demonstrated equivalent (knowledge competency criteria) encouraged.
- Preference for degrees in engineering or related technical fields.
- Direct experience with project planning and execution in the Department of Defense, preferably with Air Force, and in the areas of energy management, public works, or master planning.
- Demonstrated track record of project management and knowledge of successful project management methods.
- Strong working knowledge of contracting principles and business practices within the Government and commercial arenas.
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with personnel in diverse job functions and levels of responsibility, including directors, technical advisors, and field personnel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with a demonstrated ability for writing concisely and clearly.
- The successful candidate will have experience managing mid-sized projects or programs of increasing levels of complexity in energy systems.
- It is preferred the candidate has experience working with the DoD or related federal agencies.
- The ideal candidate will have a passion for energy security and resilience, a collaborative approach to problem-solving, a professional attitude, and strong verbal and written communications skills.
Equal Employment Opportunity
PNNL is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer that is committed to hiring a diverse, talented workforce. EOE Disability/Vet/M/F/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity. Staff at PNNL must be able to demonstrate the legal right to work in the United States.
Directorate: Energy & Environment
Job Category: Managers
Group: Building Energy Systms
Opening Date: 2017-02-01
Closing Date: 2017-03-03